California opted to create its own exchange called Covered California. Covered California offers 4 plan tiers similar to the Federal Plan; Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum. The plan summaries can be found below.
- The creation of a new Health Insurance Marketplace for individuals, families, and small businesses to get health coverage.
- The requirement that insurance companies must cover people with pre-existing health conditions.
- The inability for health insurance companies to arbitrarily cancel your health insurance just because you get sick.
- The preservation of coverage on family plans for young adults under age 26
- The end of lifetime and yearly dollar limits on coverage of essential health benefits.
A Division of